I took a bootcamp at my gym this summer. 3 days a week at 5:45 to 6:45 am… and then I’ve taken another bootcamp with my husband’s group 2 days a week 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm. I sweated more at the morning one, but have challenged different muscles at the evening one because the 2nd one was designed as preseason conditioning for skiing.
It ends in another 2 weeks, so I’ve decided I’m going to do my own series of bootcamp style exercises and develop a video to run thru in the mornings. I definitely like morning workouts better. You get the advantage of a full day of higher metabolism, it’s easier for me to sleep and I’m not starving for dinner afterwards. I like having a hearty breakfast that is low in points.
My first routine:
Flex and point:
- Stand on one foot. Raise the knee and flex the foot of the other leg. Arms straight out to sides like a T.
- Focus on a distant object. Count to 3.
- Lean forward at the hips. Bring the arms back like you’re flying, so hands are near hips.
- Extend raised leg up and back. Point the toe. Count to 3.
- Bring knee up again, flexing the toe and count to 3. Arms out straight in front.
- Keep arms in front. Leg straight out back with toe pointed. Count to 3.
- Keep alternating arms and knee/flex with leg out straight behind and point.
- Stand on one foot for one minute 30 seconds building up to 2 minutes.
- Switch legs standing on the other foot for two minutes.
Great for balance. Very good for strength too. Keeps the focus in the momement! No daydreaming. I use my stopwatch on my iPhone for keeping track of the minutes.